August Part I

Click here or on the photo above to see the rest of the pictures

Chilkoot had his testing for red belt in karate. He has practiced on and off, and depending on how engaged he is at the time of practicing, he does his kata very well or not very well. So he knows it, and can do it. His sensei knows he knows it, too.

At the actual test, Chilkoot either froze up, or was not engaged. He eventually got everything done and all the pieces right (although not everything in one big sequence). Sensei passed him, probably just because he knows Chilkoot really does know it and just didn’t perform well at the test.

We had a salsa competition at work. KrisDi finally won one of these again, with just a regular old salsa. I had meetings so the bulk of the voting occurred before I got there — I ended up being the last voter, breaking a three way tie for first place, so KrisDi won. When I voted, I knew there was a three way tie for first, but I didn’t know KrisDi was part of it.

My brother and his wife had their daughter on the first. I’ll call her the Mountain on here. She’s cute, and Northwood is clearly over the moon — but getting antsy about being trapped at home.

Chilkat made a little piñata at day care — a paper bag with some tissue paper taped or glued to it, with a few pieces of candy inside. They were both really excited about it. We were getting ready for them to break it open, but Chilkat accidentally smacked Chilkoot in the face full-force with a plastic bat while “warming up” (read: spinning around carelessly swinging the bat wildly). His nose immediately started swelling, and after the initial “wtf just happened” moment he started sobbing. While sobbing, his nose was scrunched up so much I was afraid the cartilage was messed up and/or the nose was broken. Once he calmed down, I could touch the opposite side of the bone with no discomfort, the cartilage looked normal, and it didn’t bother him if I wiggled the the cartilage around — so I was pretty confident he was fine.

Chilkat was devastated, convinced that Chilkoot would hate her forever. “Chilkoot, do you hate your sister?” “Nooooo” (please inflect quaveringly when reading that word). She required nearly as much consoling as Chilkoot did.

My dad visited (he arrived the same day as the baseball bat incident). He and P were on their way to a cruise to Alaska; they stayed with us for a couple days beforehand. We really didn’t do much — bummed around the house, and went to Les and D’s for a boat ride around Lake Tapps and a burger barbecue.

While he was gone, the kids went with KrisDi to Chilkat’s friend’s neighborhood picnic. The kids visited Nana and Papa again, this time with their cousins. They made cookies.

Dad visited, before and after his and P’s cruise to Alaska, their 50th state. KrisDi made him a cake for his 72nd birthday. We went to Les and D’s. We went to the Woodland Park Zoo, and took a bunch of neat pictures of the creatures there. We chilled out some more. Dad took us to dinner at an OK seafood restaurant.

KrisDi’s work had their company picnic. It was Hawaiian themed with a kahlua pig. The kids got to hit adults with pies. KrisDi was one of the candidates to be hit with pies, so the kids were up front screaming that they wanted to do it; KrisDi’s boss or commander was supposed to, but decided he didn’t want to. KrisDi didn’t end up being the target, though, so they had to hit other people. They had piñatas — seems like a lot of piñatas lately. Although this is the only time I’ve heard of my kids wearing them.

Chilkoot had his last T-Ball game; no better than the others, but finally remembered to bring the nice camera to try and take action shots. Here’s a nice action shot of Chilkoot really focusing on the ball while he was fielding.

Posted by snaotheus in Family, Photo updates, 1 comment

July 2019 Part II

Click here or on the photo above for pictures from July 2019

We went camping again, this time at Larrabee State Park. It’s a nice place, but there’s a train track that runs really close to it with both commuter and industrial trains that go through up to sixteen times a day, and it can interrupt your sleep a bit.

This time we camped alone. After our last camping trip, I challenged KrisDi to go all in on one tool for cooking on the camp fire, so she planned our meals to be made with the pie irons. Kids of course got grilled ham and cheese (and so did we), but she also made calzones (using Pillsbury dough) and philly cheese steaks (interestingly, cooking the meat and vegetables in the pie iron before putting it inside dough).

We found evidence of a previous visitor in our site. I bought a single propane burner to use for coffee this time, and it worked just fine. Chilkat and I had reading club, but she wanted to stay inside the tent and I wanted to sit in the zero gravity chair, so we compromised. We saw more wildlife than usual (a bird, a seal, a different bird, a rabbit, another bird, a chipmunk, another different bird, a bird, and a bird).

There was a little beach a short hike from our campground, which faced west toward the ocean. I thought it might make a nice place to see the sunset, so we took the kids and the camera and a strange Texan 11 year old named Connor to go see it. It was beautiful, and I took too many similar but still slightly different pictures making it difficult for me to pick one favorite.

Connor was one of two boys Chilkat and Chilkoot made friends with. Watching this reminded me of my experiences out camping, making sudden friends for life at various campsites, and never seeing them again, not a single one of whom can I remember at this point in my life.

Anyway, their group arrived on our second day. They walked into our camp site, and said, “Hey! There’s kids here. Do you want to play with us?” I envy the charmingly straightforward social norms of children. Connor’s older brother’s name is already lost to memory, so I’ll call him AJ. AJ was 13. Both of them were friendly and outgoing.

They a “murder mystery” game that grew increasingly complex as more arbitrary rules and roles were added, until no one could follow the game at all. AJ came and sat by the fire with KrisDi and I for half an hour or so, telling us much more about himself than we really cared to know. He even cooked and ate his dinner at our fire. I’m not sure, we may have fed him something we made, too.

I’m moderately convinced that Chilkat had her first crush on AJ. She really wanted to be on AJ’s team all the time in the murder mystery game, and got awfully bashful when I asked her why.

We took Chilkat straight from camping at Larrabee to girl scout camp — a four day day camp where they did lots of activities. We don’t have any pictures of it, because we weren’t there, just Chilkat. She remembers finger knitting, playing with friends, made a play, cooking something, taking down the flag, making new friends. She enjoyed it and she want to do it again.

Our next major event was B False Alarm‘s birthday party, which was at a trampoline house in Federal Way. Weezy and crew came up for it (which was more crazy than usual, since they only stayed the one night and went straight home in the morning). I didn’t jump on any trampolines, I just took pictures.

After the party, the Oregonians stayed with us for the night. We drank beer and played games.

The next morning, we headed up to Bellingham to visit Mom, and Weezy’s family headed down to Medford. Chilkat demonstrated her newfound finger knitting skills. I went out to three breweries to try to find beer to take back to the house, while everyone else stayed at Mom’s. Mom made pancakes for dinner, if I remember correctly.

KrisDi went blueberry picking with the kids and Les and D.

Posted by snaotheus in Family, Photo updates, 0 comments

July Part I

Click here or on the photo above for pictures from July 2019

The kids stayed with Nana and Papa, and we went down to join them on the 4th of July. We had breakfast at Mitzel’s on the way down. Chilkoot and Chilkat both got to go tubing behind the new boat (currently informally dubbed “Polish Delight”). My back was still too shitty to risk unexpected impacts, so I didn’t get to tube. The kids enjoyed it, though. KrisDi’s coworker and her husband brought their boat out, so we literally had two boatloads of people.

I haven’t spent much time on boats since I left North Dakota, but when I lived there, I spent a lot of time on them in the summer. I realized there’s a lot of things I learned and didn’t think about anymore, that a lot of other people haven’t ever learned — like how to hold boats against a dock, how to approach a trailer on the ramp, the fact that you need a spotter and some kind of signalling system when pulling tubers…anyway, we had a lot of fun, no one got hurt and no boats were damaged. We did have one weird experience where our boat was going (very slowly) through a confluence of wakes, and hit it at just the wrong angle and just the wrong time, taking blue water over the bow — completely drenching KrisDi and her friend and changing the balance of the boat to be much more nose-down than is appropriate. Luckily the bilge pump worked.

My back was pretty sore by the end of the ride, just from impact and from twisting around trying to help with ropes and tubes.

Mild firecrackers were lit offsmoke bombs, paratroopers, sparklers, etc. All was well, until some sparkler dropped into V Dubs’ shoe, yielding a small but deep burn.

Les and KrisDi grilled up some dinner. The cousins played. The uncles and aunts and grandparents drank beer and shot the breeze. Bonney Lake is in a county that doesn’t legally ban the personal use of fireworks, and it was like a war zone — fireworks everywhere. It was a good day. In particular, on our drive home, we were on the downslope into a valley and you had a huge view of the skyline on the upslope on the other side — and it was just blanketed in fireworks.

The kids didn’t want to go home with us that night. So, they stayed, and the next day KrisDi and I had a little parents’ night. We went to a few breweries and a beer store, and ate at The Cutting Board, a Japanese place in Georgetown.

The next day, the kids finally decided to come home with us. KrisDi and Chilkat went on a Mommy/Daughter day, mostly visiting the zoo and Chuck E Cheese. Chilkoot and I went on a Daddy/Son day. We went to the Snohomish aquatic center, went out to lunch, and I can’t remember what we did with the rest of the day.

We went to Wild Waves to ride rides (again, my back prevented me from participating, but I read on my phone a lot). We went to The Bine after dinner, and both Chilkoot and Chilkat drew stuff and asked the restaurant to put them up on the wall. You can see in their drawings that they both know what hops looks like, which was also noticeable by Chilkoot asking if the grocery store was selling giant hops.

KrisDi won a major award for some kind of cooking contest at her work, but I don’t remember what it was.

Chilkoot’s been in T-Ball this summer. He’s done all of the classics — skipping to the base, covering his face with his hat when he’s supposed to be fielding, picking flowers when the ball is headed toward him, walking instead of running (and claiming that he was in fact running, and only stopped running because we were telling him to run).

I finally enjoyed my birthday present: A night out to see Eddie Izzard. The first time I saw Eddie Izzard, it was on VHS in Oklahoma, and I got eight stitches in the fat layer and eleven stitches in the skin of my left hand. This time, I didn’t get any stitches, but he was funny and it was fun. We also went to a couple breweries and ate dinner at a Malaysian restaurant, which included some pretty tasty frog legs.

The next day, our Oregonian friends came up for the weekend for Chilkoot’s birthday party. We tried all the whisky we brought back from Scotland (and more) while preparing for the party. The kids goofed around. After they went to bed, the adults goofed around, too.

Chilkoot picked a baseball theme. KrisDi went over the top. Her cake was fantastic as usual — we disassembled an actual hat to use the brim as a support for the cake brim. We had a pinata. We learned my back isn’t very good at holding up, swinging, and stabilizing a heavy item at the end of a long stick while it sustains impacts from children wielding baseball bats. Lots of kids and lots of adults came.

Chilkoot got a haircut (before and after). The kids went to the dentist. Chilkat’s been nursing a mostly-detached tooth for weeks, and Chilkoot finally has a couple slightly loose teeth.

Posted by snaotheus in Family, Photo updates, 0 comments