March, Part I

The month basically started off with Christmas. I had promised KrisDi a day out with no planning required from her. I found the Wailin’ Jenny’s were going to be in Victoria. I knew KrisDi was interested after she discovered Ruth Moody’s voice through the connection that Ruth Moody’s baby’s father is P Dubs’ friend of many years.

KrisDi’s father Les came out to watch the kids, so we were able to turn it into a two night ordeal.

We took the Victoria Clipper up there (~3 hour cruise), wandered around Victoria drinking beer and eating food and looking at the sights. When visiting one brewery (Canoe, I think), we noticed someone wearing a Chuck’s Hop Shop hoody at the bar and being friendly with the staff. When I went to ask the staff where we could find good poutine, he joined the conversation. Eventually, we learned that he was the owner of the Drake, which was on our “must visit” list for the trip. He gave some excellent recommendations for food (we ended up going to his recommendation for dinner — Hanks, which was very good). We ended up going to the Drake next anyway, and saw him speedwalking his way over while we were walking. We sat down and started harassing the bartender (per the owner’s instructions), drank beer for a while, and then the owner came over and sat with us for another 45 minutes shooting the breeze about beer and the beer business. It was really nice.

Later that night we went to the show at Alix Goolden Hall — a church that has been turned into a venue. The Wailin’ Jennys sure have pretty voices. I’d heard some of Ruth Moody’s music before, and perused some Wailin’ Jennys when I was looking into this trip, so that was no surprise. It was a good time.

The next morning we went to a place called Jam for breakfast, which was fantastic. We had a scotch egg for the first time (along with a caesar), which was interesting and good. We visited more breweries, ate more food, walked a bunch, and then picked up food to take home with us on the Clipper. I had arranged a couples massage, which was nice — it was KrisDi’s first professional massage and my first professional massage that wasn’t actually physical therapy. With actual back pain, I would much prefer  the therapy version. For relaxation, the spa + massage was nice.

On the way home, I got to exercise the megalens on the boat, trying to get decent pictures of sunset in low light with high zoom from a fast-moving boat. I got some pretty pictures, and about 400 orange blurs. It was fun, but nearly futile. Also, in the cold wind, my hands nearly froze off.

When we landed again in Seattle, we Ubered to the Air BnB in Seattle we were staying at, which was walking distance to two things we wanted to do: (1) In the evening, go to Holy Mountain and get pizza from Windy City Pie [we met with P Dubs & T], and (2) Kerry Park, where I wanted to go and try to get sunrise pictures of Seattle [it was gray in the morning].

After breakfast, we walked back to the truck, drove back to the Air BnB, got our bags and stuff, and then drove to P Dubs, where Les had brought the kids. After telling the kids about our weekend, they also wanted a massage.

KrisDi was out of town the next weekend, in Chicago to visit with her internet mom friends. I enlisted my Mom to help me out with the kids, mostly to get Chilkat to piano lessons. Then she stayed with us for the weekend. During a stop at the donut shop, Chilkoot recognized the salon where he last got a haircut and started asking for one; KrisDi remotely set it up and we did it. When we were leaving the house to walk to DQ, there happened to be a bald eagle in the tree immediately behind our house. He stayed there long enough for me to go back inside, get the megalens, and spend about 10-15 minutes shooting pictures of him. It’s nice nature finally decided to cooperate with me, sending majestic creatures into my back yard.

The kids were very excited to give me my birthday present: 22 bottles and/or cans of various IPAs. They got back from the store with their mother, giggling and telling me to keep my eyes closed while they got my present ready. I sure couldn’t guess what was happening by the clinking of glass as it thudded into a cooler, and then was covered noisily with ice. They sure are sweet kids.

Posted by snaotheus



I thoroughly enjoyed the limited-duty weekend with you guys. I hope to be off limited-duty and fit for regular-duty … soooooooon.

Y’know, with an orange beard, I look rather disturbingly like my dad. 😉

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.