October 2018, Part I

I started off the month in Japan. A supertyphoon arrived about midnight after I got to my hotel. It woke me up with debris thumping and wind shaking the hotel. Morning after was sunny and nice, just a little breezy (with a lot of branches and leaves all over the place and the trains staying closed early in the morning).

The first dinner was fun. My boss and I went to a restaurant we both know and love (nameless yakitori place), but we know the servers don’t speak English, they don’t have an English menu or a picture menu. So, between his and my broken Japanese, awkward gestures, and Google image searches, we had a delicious but somewhat disjointed dinner.

The second or third night, we had an earthquake. Something like a 4.1. It wouldn’t have woken me up, except that the public earthquake warning system woke me so I wouldn’t miss the experience.

The last night I was there, my Japanese friends took me out to dinner in a “normal” restaurant. Until this meal, I hadn’t noticed that 99% of my meals in Japan are in restaurants occupied solely by adults. This one was cheaper, louder, less tasteful, and filled with families. It was fun to be reminded that kids are kids and parents are parents no matter where you are or what language they speak. Kids were crawling over clench-jawed parents growling at them to sit the fuck down and eat their god damn sushi (however you say it in Japanese, I’m confident I got the translation correct). The restaurant also had a rewards system; after 5 small plates, you had a chance to win a prize. I got one tiny little toy sushi.

Meanwhile, KrisDi returned from California. Apparently, while they were there, Chilkoot contracted salmonella, most likely from a lizard encountered at a brewery. So, Chilkoot threw up in bed (which sent Chilkat scrambling for her own bed), rolled around in the vomit while KrisDi tried to clean him up, and proceeded to vomit periodically for the next 10-12 hours. Then he was fine.

I went to Guam after Japan. We went snorkeling twice, and on about a half dozen mild hikes. We drank a lot. We ate a lot. I slipped and hurt my knee (enough to ache and complain the rest of the day, but not seriously hurt). I really enjoyed my visit. I didn’t really enjoy the heat and humidity. It is really nice to get in the water on a sunny hot day out there. It doesn’t take anything more strenuous than breathing to start sweating. My favorite specific sights were the moray eel and the blue squamosa clam. I took a lot of pictures (when my lens wasn’t too foggy).

Les moved to Washington. E and P dubs traveled out to help him put things in a moving truck, and then helped him move stuff out. D still lives in the Chicago area (with her sister), working and trying to get a transfer and considering flat out retiring. They got everything out of their old house and completed its sale. Great Grandma moved into a Polish speaking assisted living place.

The Friday after I got back, we took Miss K out for dinner again. This time we went to La Isla followed by Molly Moon.

Posted by snaotheus

1 comment

Love that shot! The distortion rising out of the top is neat! Glad you had a chance to see badly behaved Japanese children, and I’m equally certain you got the translation right. 😉

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.