February 2019 Part II

Click here or on the picture above for more photos

This section starts with a trip to Florida. We flew on Southwest from SEATAC to DFW to Orlando. I dropped the wife and kids and baggage off at the airport, then dropped off the rental car (Trent is still in the shop), and took my dainty little sub-ten-pound backpack through security to meet the family. SEA-DFW was pretty challenging for my back. We ate Whataburger in the airport and I found a bench to lie on before our second leg. I left KrisDi with the kids to get the baggage while I picked up the FL rental car (incidentally, same car, different color) and drove back to pick them up.

Then we met Dad and Peggy for dinner at a Yardhouse close to the hotel. I dropped the family off at the hotel and went with Dad to a Wal Mart to find a stroller (so I could push a backpack and be useful). When we came back, I learned that Chilkoot had, 30 seconds after being told by his mother to stop running around, run full speed into a full length sliding closet door mirror and broke it. I told the front desk children, who looked at me blankly, and said, “Uhhhh…I guess…we’ll have to…tell the manager…in the morning?” OK, bro, that’s fine. I’ve done my job. You get to decide whether you’ll do yours. We haven’t heard from the hotel, except to ask us to complete a survey (5/5 stars — let me trash the room free of charge).

The next morning we had a crappy hotel continental breakfast and went to Universal Studios with Dad and Peggy. As far as I know, KrisDi and the kids had a good time. Although the first ride was not friendly to kids Chilkoot’s size, and he had to wait for almost an hour with me. Chilkat and Chilkoot were instantly warmed up to Dad and Peggy, which I was a little worried about — Chilkat’s only seen them a couple times, and I don’t think Chilkoot had met Peggy before. I couldn’t ride anything (“pre-existing back condition” disclaimer on everything), so for the most part I was responsible for waiting to be told where to go and then pushing a backpack in a stroller there. I lay down to rest my back while the family was in a long line a few times, which probably earned me some puzzled stares. I listened to the Wheel of Time audio books. A bird crashed into my foot.

I don’t have a lot specific to say about it — we had a funny experience with Spiderman. Chilkat happily posed for a picture with him, but Chilkoot decided it was too scary (or he already had a picture with him or something), and wasn’t interested…but Spiderman followed him out, picked him a flower, and tried to make friends.

That night, Dad and Peggy went back to the hotel, and we picked up drive-through dinner at a Chick-Fil-A and drove to the Legoland Beach Resort.

KrisDi went running in the morning (despite an already sore hip flexor), we went to the Legoland breakfast buffet, and then we drove the ~1.5 miles to the park for a day of Lego-themed revelry. Sadly, again, the first choice ride was not friendly to kids Chilkoot’s size, so he had to sit and pout with me for 30-45 minutes waiting.

Overall, the kids had a good time again. Again, I spent time lying down and varying positions and listening to audio books. They got to ride the same ride like 5 times in a row with a short wait in between, which is not bad. We had turkey legs and mini corn dogs for lunch.

As with our previous Legoland California visit, I think the kids enjoyed all the miniature cities as much as (or more than) the rides. For me…it was hot.

Afterward, we went out for dinner at a place called Harry’s Old Place. We had gator bites (the kids even tried them), I ordered dolphin (at least that’s what the menu said, but I’ve heard that usually ‘dolphin’ is mahi mahi). We drank silly drinks (like my Mermaid).

That night, after discovering for some reason that KrisDi’s sock melted into her nail polish, we played in the pool. KrisDi and I drank stupid drinks, the kids played, Chilkoot made “minions“, and everyone had a good time. Chilkat started to show a fever, but not much.

The next morning, Chilkoot’s calendar birthday, we decided we didn’t need to go back to Legoland, and after breakfast we drove down to Punta Gorda to visit Dad. Chilkoot threw up in the rental car (booster seat is much better to clean up than full-blown car seat). We hosed down part of the car and dowsed the rest in Febreze. We got take out food from Callaloo, played in Dad’s pool, and Chilkat’s fever hit 103.9. That was sufficient to warrant a trip to the drug store for acetaminophen and ibuprofen, which got her temperature under control.

Posted by snaotheus

1 comment

Lying on benches, you didn’t get any looks more funny than those given to an old, very white woman wearing hiking boots and a big-brim hat/scarf all over Guam! It was nice of Spiderman to try to make friends. Looks as if A Good Time Was Had by All.

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.