February 2019 Part III

Click here or on the picture above for more photos

The day after Chilkat’s birthday, her fever went down a lot. Not gone, but much better. I also broke Dad’s cornbread pan — he has one of those flat-top electric stoves; it was being used as a counter; I must have somehow brushed the knob that turned on an element, which heated up and shattered the glass pan (and didn’t quite ignite the leftover cornbread). It’s lucky we were home and close enough to the stove to hear the glass and go investigate.

Dad has a smaller motorboat in addition to his big sailboat. We took a little cruise around the canals in Punta Gorda, and both kids got to steer. They also fought stupidly about who got to steer. I would have been happy tying a 25 foot rope to one, and 50 foot to the other, and towing them behind the boat.

Of course, we spent more time in the pool. This is probably about the time Krisdi started using it for physical therapy for her leg — stretching and bending it without having too much weight on it.

We left the kids with Dad and Peggy to go beer shopping at Captain’s Liquor and Wine, about a 25 minute drive from Dad’s, and found some nicely exotic beers (versus those we could find in every Publix in the state). One in particular I’ve been seeking for about 6-8 years…just sitting on the shelf (it was delicious). I also picked up Hopslam, which is weird to drink as a “hanging out in the pool” beer. After this little shopping trip, Dad was worried that we were going to abandon beer in his house.

The next day, we went on the big boat. Motored through the canals out into the bay, where Dad took us around under sail and we had picnic (or bicnic or boatnic) of fried chicken, ice cream, and beer (not for the kids). As we sailed along, a number of dolphins came up alongside us and jumped and splashed, delighting the kids (and adults, even though they didn’t cooperate nicely with the photographer).

The next day, we visited Gatorama. There are, unsurprisingly, a lot of alligators, crocodiles, and on-theme things, as well as some other stuff. They even have two of the world 108 albino alligators. And Chilkoot got to hold one of them. He was a bit freaked out about it, but it was pretty amusing. There were lots of neat things to see. I recommend looking through the pictures, or visiting yourself.

On our way back to Dad’s, we went to Babcock Ranch. We had lunch at a nice farm-to-table taphouse there. It’s apparently an interesting place — all solar or something like that.

Our last day was a visit to the beach. The kids enjoyed playing in the waves (after Chilkat got over the fact that there is sand at the beach — sand at the beach! The humanity!). We all got sunburn to varying degrees. We brought home bags of shells. Afterward, KrisDi made lasagna as a “thank you for everything” dinner. It was delicious.

We traveled home the next day. Same routine of dropping off the kids and KrisDi off while I returned the rental car. Too bad to let that third row seating go…anyway, the way home was mostly uneventful. The Houston airport was interesting — there were hundreds, possibly thousands of iPads all over the airport, from which you could order food and drinks from nearby restaurants.

Finally, we got home. School was the next day, of course. Chilkat had a dentist appointment to take care of a cavity (which was actually two cavities), and by KrisDi’s account, she was a terrible drag about it.

We got Chilkat’s girl scout cookies, and she came into my office to deliver them. Chilkat and Chilkoot both left notes for the people not present to receive their orders, and a couple more people made new orders when they saw her delivering.

All told, for more than three weeks, between snow days and delays and vacation, the kids had one and only one full day of school. Chilkat adjusted pretty well back to the routine, but Chilkoot has been struggling. We’ve had more shouting matches, and he’s had more meltdowns. I loved this picture of him sleeping like he got knocked the fuck out. One particular night, I was sitting on one couch, and he was sitting on the other. We both had headphones on — but I could hear his. We had a small row about whether or not it was possible to watch videos at a lower volume and whether he would survive the boredom of not watching anything. I sent him to calm down in his room, and when I went back up to check on him…well, he was knocked the fuck out.

Posted by snaotheus

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.