July Part I

Click here or on the photo above for pictures from July 2019

The kids stayed with Nana and Papa, and we went down to join them on the 4th of July. We had breakfast at Mitzel’s on the way down. Chilkoot and Chilkat both got to go tubing behind the new boat (currently informally dubbed “Polish Delight”). My back was still too shitty to risk unexpected impacts, so I didn’t get to tube. The kids enjoyed it, though. KrisDi’s coworker and her husband brought their boat out, so we literally had two boatloads of people.

I haven’t spent much time on boats since I left North Dakota, but when I lived there, I spent a lot of time on them in the summer. I realized there’s a lot of things I learned and didn’t think about anymore, that a lot of other people haven’t ever learned — like how to hold boats against a dock, how to approach a trailer on the ramp, the fact that you need a spotter and some kind of signalling system when pulling tubers…anyway, we had a lot of fun, no one got hurt and no boats were damaged. We did have one weird experience where our boat was going (very slowly) through a confluence of wakes, and hit it at just the wrong angle and just the wrong time, taking blue water over the bow — completely drenching KrisDi and her friend and changing the balance of the boat to be much more nose-down than is appropriate. Luckily the bilge pump worked.

My back was pretty sore by the end of the ride, just from impact and from twisting around trying to help with ropes and tubes.

Mild firecrackers were lit offsmoke bombs, paratroopers, sparklers, etc. All was well, until some sparkler dropped into V Dubs’ shoe, yielding a small but deep burn.

Les and KrisDi grilled up some dinner. The cousins played. The uncles and aunts and grandparents drank beer and shot the breeze. Bonney Lake is in a county that doesn’t legally ban the personal use of fireworks, and it was like a war zone — fireworks everywhere. It was a good day. In particular, on our drive home, we were on the downslope into a valley and you had a huge view of the skyline on the upslope on the other side — and it was just blanketed in fireworks.

The kids didn’t want to go home with us that night. So, they stayed, and the next day KrisDi and I had a little parents’ night. We went to a few breweries and a beer store, and ate at The Cutting Board, a Japanese place in Georgetown.

The next day, the kids finally decided to come home with us. KrisDi and Chilkat went on a Mommy/Daughter day, mostly visiting the zoo and Chuck E Cheese. Chilkoot and I went on a Daddy/Son day. We went to the Snohomish aquatic center, went out to lunch, and I can’t remember what we did with the rest of the day.

We went to Wild Waves to ride rides (again, my back prevented me from participating, but I read on my phone a lot). We went to The Bine after dinner, and both Chilkoot and Chilkat drew stuff and asked the restaurant to put them up on the wall. You can see in their drawings that they both know what hops looks like, which was also noticeable by Chilkoot asking if the grocery store was selling giant hops.

KrisDi won a major award for some kind of cooking contest at her work, but I don’t remember what it was.

Chilkoot’s been in T-Ball this summer. He’s done all of the classics — skipping to the base, covering his face with his hat when he’s supposed to be fielding, picking flowers when the ball is headed toward him, walking instead of running (and claiming that he was in fact running, and only stopped running because we were telling him to run).

I finally enjoyed my birthday present: A night out to see Eddie Izzard. The first time I saw Eddie Izzard, it was on VHS in Oklahoma, and I got eight stitches in the fat layer and eleven stitches in the skin of my left hand. This time, I didn’t get any stitches, but he was funny and it was fun. We also went to a couple breweries and ate dinner at a Malaysian restaurant, which included some pretty tasty frog legs.

The next day, our Oregonian friends came up for the weekend for Chilkoot’s birthday party. We tried all the whisky we brought back from Scotland (and more) while preparing for the party. The kids goofed around. After they went to bed, the adults goofed around, too.

Chilkoot picked a baseball theme. KrisDi went over the top. Her cake was fantastic as usual — we disassembled an actual hat to use the brim as a support for the cake brim. We had a pinata. We learned my back isn’t very good at holding up, swinging, and stabilizing a heavy item at the end of a long stick while it sustains impacts from children wielding baseball bats. Lots of kids and lots of adults came.

Chilkoot got a haircut (before and after). The kids went to the dentist. Chilkat’s been nursing a mostly-detached tooth for weeks, and Chilkoot finally has a couple slightly loose teeth.


Posted by snaotheus

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.