August Part II

Click here or on the picture above for the rest of the photos

Diane got free or cheap tickets for a Tacoma Rainiers baseball game. The tickets came with a free hat and a free hot dog, if I remember correctly. Traffic took us two hours to get down there, we struggled with parking before paying $10 to park semi-legally on the street a long walk from the ballpark. The kids didn’t really want to eat the hot dogs (and neither did I, and KrisDi was on Whole 30 so she didn’t either). I had some beer, garlic fries, Chilkat had clam chowder. I think Chilkoot sort of ate a little hot dog. I don’t remember if KrisDi ate anything. The kids got on the Jumbotron or whatever it’s called. We had to leave early to get the kids to bed. Chilkoot still fell asleep on the drive home. It was a good time, but probably not worth the drive and the hassle, in my opinion.

The kids asked KrisDi for toys while they were out somewhere, and KrisDi pointed out that they have bins and bins of toys that they never look at, so why should we get more? Bless her little heart for that. The kids responded by trying to sell some on the street. This was a multi-day event. We let them run it themselves. The made signs, and a table, and brought out a money box, and set their own prices. They drew advertisements in chalk on the sidewalk and the street. They sat in the driveway for hours, waiting for customers. Chilkoot made a little paper megaphone and screamed out his advertisement. “Toys for sale! Come to house number ###! Toys for sale!” They enlisted me once or twice because I can yell louder. They fought when Chilkoot the Fickle got bored and went inside and said Chilkat was allowed to keep all the proceeds of any sales that occurred without his participation; Chilkat the Perpetually Wounded conveniently forgot the agreement so that she could blame Chilkoot for making her do all the work while he still got to keep half the proceeds. They pulled out their little toy store three times, I think, for more than an hour each time. They required counseling several times about the lack of customers.

They made one sale. I think they sold a stuffed Clifford for $6 to a girl that looked about 13.

I’m not sure why, but Chilkoot decided to brush his own hair. I thought it was adorable, but I think it depressed KrisDi. She loves them curls.

Chilkoot tested for and received his red belt in Karate. I think he got the belt on the forbearance of his sensei. He was distracted and kept messing up and didn’t get hints on what he was supposed to do. Eventually he got through it, though. KrisDi thinks that since sensei knows Chilkoot actually knows the stuff, he was a little more forgiving if he froze during the test.

We had my company picnic. Clowns, bouncy houses, magic shows, petting zoos. There was an epic water balloon fight, in which our kids demonstrated either their lack of understanding of teams or their complete and total willingness to betray. We won an air fryer as a door prize. In twelve years, that’s the first prize we’ve won. Although Chilkoot would have preferred the hammock. KrisDi was on her last day of Whole 30, so she didn’t get to eat anything. Chilkoot remembers nothing. Chilkat remembers the air fryer, the balloon fight and being hit in the stomach by an evil balloon, the bouncy house, the petting zoo (bunnies and chicken with hat and chicken with shoes).

We took Les to Pogacha for his birthday. I convinced him to try the lamb. This is surprising, because usually he and Big D are unwilling to allow anyone to spend too much money on a single dish, but he enjoyed it so I’m glad. KrisDi made him a key lime cheesecake, which was fantastic.

We spent three nights with my full family-in-law in an AirBnB by the ocean in Netarts, Oregon, a little way outside of Tillamook. We visited Great Notion in Portland and De Garde in Tillamook on the way down. While there, we visited Pelican and of course the Tillamook creamery. KrisDi’s family is chaotic, my back was shitty, we saw a lot of neat stuff, we mostly ate at the house. We walked on the beach, we visited a couple things like a neat old lighthouse. I screwed around with the camera. I kept waking up super early, partially due to back shit; I worked three hours or so each morning before anyone woke up. The one night I slept on the floor preceded the one day I had the least back pain.

I never, ever want to let my kids sleep in the same room as their cousins again. There was so much bedtime bullshit that I might have hung myself or others had I actually been forced to deal with it. Luckily, my wife is awesome and didn’t make me. I genuinely appreciate it.

The one time I went to the beach, I learned (again) the Pacific is fucking cold. I was very surprised that Chilkat was determined to spend time in the water, and kept wading out and standing there. The water was cold enough that just walking out and standing in it to my thighs, my legs would actually start aching.

KrisDi picked and ordered our Halloween costumes and we tried them on. Also, Chilkoot grew a lot in the last six months.


Posted by snaotheus

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.